I recently found out that I have been switched energy suppliers without my consent. Both my original supplier and the new one are still operating, but are not agreeing on how to sort this out and it has left me in billing limbo at the worst time. Can you help?

It sounds like something known as an ‘erroneous transfer’ has taken place. These types of transfer happen when an energy customer is switched over from one energy supplier to another, sometimes by accident without their permission to do so.

Erroneous transfers can happen for several reasons, include mismatches of meter and property location information; clerical errors; or address / postcode registration issues.

The important thing to remember is that as an energy consumer, you are protected under the ‘Erroneous Transfers Customer Charter’.

How do I resolve this?

It is in the best interest of both energy suppliers to sort this out as quickly as possible, as it means that the correct company will be paid for supplying your energy, and you may be due increasing amounts of compensation the longer the situation continues.

You should have been notified within five days of contacting your supplier that the case has been acknowledged and that the issues will be addressed. After this, you should receive contact within twenty days to confirm you are being moved back to your original supplier.

Your energy service and billing should not be negatively impacted by an erroneous transfer.

Potential Compensation

Gas and electricity customers that are affected by issues involving switching suppliers will receive automatic compensation. You may receive compensation for being switched without your explicit permission, or if your credit balance is not refunded within 10 days of your old supplier sending you your final bill.

In both instances, you should expect to receive £30 or more, and you will not be required to ask for it from the supplier, with compensation being automatic.

The rules, or guaranteed standards, have been established by the energy regulator Ofgem, and companies are liable to pay compensation should they fail to adhere to such obligations. You should receive compensation for switching problems as defined by the standards and regulations set out.

This applies to switches taking place on or after the 1st of May 2019.

The maximum compensation entitlement for this is £120 if your supply is not transferred back to your original supplier within a reasonable period. £30 is usually offered to customers if their supplier fails to repay any money owed within 10 working days of sending them a final bill.

What steps should I take to resolve these issues?

If an issue has not been fixed or you have not received the compensation, the first step is to contact your supplier to inform them about this. If you are unhappy with the response you get, you should consider making a complaint directly to the supplier.

You can do this over the phone but making this in writing ensures that there is a record of your complaint that can be referred to. You should outline the issues you are experiencing, what has been done so far, and what you expect the energy supplier to do to fix the situation. provide free, practical advice and information on energy-related matters to the citizens of Scotland. Specialist energy advisers can provide support with enquiries related to energy suppliers, including complaints and issues with energy bills. are available from Monday to Friday, between 9am and 5pm on 0808 196 8660, or by visiting